Just by chance, we finished up several topics/units last week, so the week ahead will be new and interesting. 🙂
- Language Arts: Grace finished reading The Watsons Go to Birmingham – 1963 last week (look for her book review tomorrow), so she’ll begin reading Divergent this week. (She does love a good dystopian novel.) We’ll also begin working on writing short reports and research. I’m looking forward to this. Grace is doing a wonderful job with writing fiction, but we could use some practice on nonfiction efforts. We will, of course, be working with grammar and spelling. We’re also very excited that Grace will begin classes with Young Writers’ Academy…she’ll be taking weekly classes for 7 weeks to learn more about short story writing.
- Math: We have finished (and beyond) our state’s curriculum for math, so we’ll begin some review activities. It never hurts to look back at those skills from earlier in the year. This week we’ll be reviewing numeration and basic operations with whole numbers and decimals.
- Science: Grace will finish up a unit on electricity this week. This marks the end of our state’s curriculum for science, so we’ll be heading into review mode in science as well.
- Social Studies: Grace will continue reading The Smart Aleck’s Guide to American History. She will also continue reading, summarizing, and discussing current events.
- Mythology: We will finish up our activities for Bellerophon and Pegasus and move on to Narcissus and Echo.
- Field Trips: In addition to Young Writers’ Academy, Grace will also be participating in a couple of science classes this week. She’ll be learning about plant adaptations at the Nature Center and the properties of yeast at the Science Center.
Have a wonderful week!