So, you might be wondering why it took so long for us to update the blog. The thing is, I’ve been in public school, soaking up the valuable skills, like learning how to squeeze through giant crowds of people without getting trampled. Honestly, it wasn’t a very fun experience. I did make some new friends though, so it wasn’t exactly all bad.
Today was my first day back as a home-schooler, and I have really missed it. No more getting up at 6:30. Today, I got up at 9:30. 9:30! I even got some goofing-around time before school started. Instead of eating a gross heated-up school lunch, I had a small bowl of peanuts, which I snacked on for the rest of the day.
Things are going to be a little different this year. I’m going to be spending one full week at each house before switching, so my mother is going to be teaching me just as much as Emily will. I’m going to start taking piano lessons and studying astronomy. This week I’m at my dad and Emily’s house, so I did most of today’s lessons on the couch. I did however go outside for physical activity time, which I quite enjoyed. We spent a good chunk of it cleaning up the trash people throw onto the side of the road.
Both Emily and I will definitely start updating you guys more often. I’m really looking forward to being taught by both Emily and my mom. It’ll be a great learning experience. Bye!
Nerd in the Brain! I’ve finally decided to take all of my experiences as a teacher (public school, community college, and home school), a math nerd, and a reading nut and squish them together into something awesome (I hope!).
We won’t be posting about Nerd in the Brain too terribly much here…it is a separate thing, after all. I did feel like it was worth a mention for a few reasons though:
- Grace is actually taking a pretty big part in this whole thing. She’s helping with ideas, proofreading materials, and testing activities and games. She’s a helper and a guinea pig. 🙂
- I’ve decided to add some free resources to Nerd in the Brain. I’m hoping the other home schoolin’ families out there will get some use out of them. (Other teachers, too, of course!) Right now, there is only one game available, but I’m hoping to add something new to the free resources each week.
- I like to share resources here…Nerd in the Brain is just one more of ’em. 🙂
- We’ll be adding new literature guides and lesson plans (of the non-free variety) every couple of weeks. You may get some use out of those, too. Again, we’re just getting started, but we’ll be adding materials to help with fantasy, science fiction, and dystopian literature. There will also be math and science lessons in the near future.
- Nerd in the Brain will do giveaways from time to time. I’ll announce them here so all of you teaching lovelies will have a chance at winning some free loot. 😀
Now I’ll leave you with some pictures of Grace enjoying some Operation War. (That’s the free resource that went up today.)
The reason we’ve been more scattered than usual around here is this:
Yep, we’ve decided to move waaaay out in the country and do life a little differently than what we’re used to. 😉 I’m afraid we’ll continue to be a bit scattered for the next few weeks as we go through the whole moving and adjusting process. Homeschool will, of course, continue…it may just be a bit strange at times. Speaking of homeschool, how awesome is it that Grace got to see the whole house-buying process?!? She was with us at the bank, the real estate office, and the closing. She was bored out of her mind, but at least she’s had some exposure to a task that I found quite daunting. 🙂
Today is Grace’s official first day of the sixth grade. She’s off to a great start…I’m super-impressed that she started taking notes on her science info without any “grown up” intervention. 🙂
Hard at work. 🙂
Yes, I have finally created a facebook page just for Homeschool Hijinks. I’m hoping to post updates, pictures, videos, etc. to the Homeschool Hijinks page and use my personal facebook page for, well, personal (non-school-related) stuff. So, go give us a “like,” and we’ll keep you posted on what we’re up to.
Our adventures in homeschooling are just beginning, and we’re creating this blog to share our experiences with friends and family. Grace is so excited about homeschool that she can’t wait to get started! We’ve decided to go ahead and give it a go, but on a part-time basis until the first of August (due to scheduling oddities). If all goes as planned (which it so often does, right?), you’ll be able to read about what Grace is learning (as summarized by Grace), keep an eye on our year-long weather project, get info about resources we come across, see pictures of projects and trips, and share in our day-to-day homeschool hijinks.